Sunday, August 29, 2004

And the Hits Keep on Coming!

Just a few days ago I thought that as the Games were coming to an end and our desk is becoming quieter and quieter, so would the things we experience. Not entirely true!

Yesterday was one of those days where a lot happened. The day started calmly. Waking up, relaxing, doing a blog and then off to work. First I had to pass by the stadium as all volunteer receive a "limited edition" volunteer pin (less than 48.000 made) and a Swatch volunteer watch.

At the stadium all was quiet as there were no morning or afternoon events. It was so quiet I could wander in and around the stadium and take some pics. Yes, I took one of myself on the medal podium. Gold, of course!

From there I went to the Village. There they were handing out free tickets for the volunteers for the athletics that night. Rene picked one up and left for the stadium. As I had to work I skipped it.

The Guatamala assistant to the Chef de Mission passed by to give me a Guatemala shirt for all the good help. She, Melanie, and I had spoken a lot on the phone regarding several issues and she was so sweet to express her thanks through this shirt. What a darling!

Than the organisation changed the transport schedule for the Marathon. As the marathon finishes between 20 and 21 hrs at Panthinaiko Stadium and the Closing Ceremony starts in the Olympic Stadium at 21:00 hrs we had to call all delegations participating in the marathon to inform them that people attending the marathon finish would not be able to participate in the ceremony. That is over 50 calls!

Then came the best part of my day. They were holding lottery's for leftover tickets and I won a ticket to the Closing Ceremony tonight! YES! YES! YES!

After work we all decided to hit the town together. Some 30 volunteers from the different SIC desks joined and we had a blast in the Tango bar dancing. Well, from Rene's posting you can read what happened afterwards. Our little farewell party resulted in lots of tears in our eyes...

Well, I'm off to the Village now to say goodbye to some of the colleagues doing their last shift and then it's off the Closing Ceremony! (I'm so happy!)

See Ya!

Roberto

No comments: