Thursday, August 19, 2004

Finally Gold!

As you know, yesterday was a great day for the Dutch delegation in Athens. At the SIC (Sports Information Centre) it is one big battle between the Greeks and me, as I am almost the only non-Greek in the place.

Up to yesterday they kept teasing me, asking how many gold medals Holland had achieved so far. They already had two (synchronised diving and judo). My responses were somewhere along the lines of "we don't depend on jury sports" and "we do not compete with imported players". Of course, the latter is totally true with "real" Dutchies like Mia Audina (in the final!), the former African athlete running for Holland and the entire Baseball team, but what do they know... ;-)

But then came yesterday and the locals are very quiet now. After the NED-GRE baseball game I had already learned how to say "11-0" in Greek, but now the real fun starts. All in good fun of course...

Thanx Leontien and Pieter-Jan!

Roberto

PS: I finally found Brazil on the medal table. Two bronze medals! Muito bom! I'll have a few caipirinha's in the Old Dutch on you!

No comments: